Information according to Art. 13 and 14 General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for the processing of personal data in connection with membership in the QUAREP-LiMi network
The protection of your personal data is a major concern of the University of Freiburg and we want you to be fully informed about the processing of your personal data.
We process your personal data (hereinafter referred to as “data”) in accordance with the legal requirements and organize this in a transparent manner. With the following data protection information, we explain to you which data are processed in connection with joining the QUAREP-LiMi network and the resulting membership, for what purposes and on what legal basis this is done. You will also receive information about ways to contact us and about your rights as a data subject.
Responsible internal Institution
Information on data processing and purposes
“Quality Assessment and Reproducibility for Instruments & Images in Light Microscopy” (QUAREP-LiMi) is a network of international microscopists from research and industry who are interested in improving quality and quality assurance in microscopy. Networking and external presentation or exchange take place via the QUAREP-LiMi website, the QUAREP-LiMi cloud and the QUAREP-LiMi Omero server . The QUAREP-LiMi website “https://quarep.org” guarantees the topic worldwide visibility and presents the progress in this area to the public. In addition, the QUAREP-LiMi website offers interested microscopists the opportunity to find out more about the network and, by registering, to join a working group according to their research and interests.
Every registered member receives access to the QUAREP-LiMi cloud and the QUAREP-LiMi Omero server, in which the documentation of the meetings of the working groups and their results are stored and available for sharing within the network. The email address of each member will also be added to multiple mailing lists depending on the joined working group.
In order to become a member of the network, interested researchers can register via the website “https://quarep.org/members/become-a-member/“. You consent to the processing of your data by means of an double opt-in procedure. The information with * is mandatory. Afterwards you receive an email in which you have to confirm your consent again.
The personal data collected during registration is initially stored in an SQL database. The database is exported at regular intervals (weekly) as an Excel table and transferred to a member Excel table using a VBA script. This member Excel spreadsheet is stored on QUAREP-LiMi’s NextCloud server (https://nextcloud.quarep.org). The NextCloud server is accessible to every member. Thus, a member can also see what information is stored about him and object to the storage/processing of individual data if necessary. Furthermore, the data is stored on a LDAP server (https://ldap.quarep.org). This server is used to identify members for the QUAREP NextCloud server.
Further purposes of this data processing are as follows:
- The chair and vice chairs of the network can contact new members and invite them to working group meetings.
- The members can network with each other.
- Members can independently create accesses by changing the working group, leave their working group or join another working group.
- The data is also used to generate anonymous statistics for the website.
For this purpose, the following personal data are published as a member list on the website:
- First and last name
- City of the employer
- Country code (2 digits)
- Name of the employer
- Time zone (UTC)
- Categorization of the employer (laboratory, university, industry, government)
The publication serves the presentation of the topic, the self-portrayal of the network and the members as well as the recruitment of new members. The presentation of the high number of renowned members on the homepage encourages further scientists to get involved and to become a member of the network. In addition, it shows the importance of quality assurance in science related to microscopy.
The chair and vice chair have their own profile pages on the QUAREP-LiMi website (e.g. https://quarep.org/sciencex_teams/roland-nitschke/), on which a picture, contact details and a curriculum vitae can be published with their consent. The consent has to be given separately via email.
In the event of consent, the first and last name as well as the name of the employer will be published in the news and also on social media channels such as Twitter and LinkedIn.
Categories of data
- Name (title, first name and surname, suffix)
- Gender (male/female/divers/do not like to give the information)
- Name of the institution (organization / company / university) and seat
- Lab Affiliation (categorization of the laboratory)
- Group Affiliation (academia, industry or standardization organization)
- Employer’s address (street, house number, city, zip code, state, country, country code)
- Employer’s website (optional)
- UTC time zone
- E-mail address
- Working group in which people want to become a member
- How was QUAREP-LiMi found (Twitter, LinkedIn etc.)
- Orcid ID
- Comment (optional)
- Image data / photos (chairs, vice chairs, optional)
- Curriculum (chairs, vice chairs, optional)
Right of withdrawal
Consent to data processing is voluntary. You have the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data at any time. This also applies to individual data. The withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
You can send an informal email to firstname.lastname@example.org to withdraw your consent. You will not suffer any disadvantages from refusing or withdrawing your consent. However, the membership cannot be continued under these circumstances.
Legal basis for data processing
- Employees / Members of the University of Freiburg: Art. 6 Para. 1 Subpara. 1 lit. e in conjunction with Para. 3 DS-GVO, Art. 88 DSGVO in conjunction with § 15 Para 1 LDSG in conjunction with §§ 83 ff. LBG, § 12 Para. 1 LHG
- Voluntary information / external members: Art. 6 Para. 1 Subpara. 1 lit. a in conjunction with 7 DSGVO (consent)
Communication with the web server takes place via an HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure) connection. This means that the data is transmitted securely against eavesdropping. In addition, there are HSTS (HTTP Strict Transport Security) and PFS (Perfect Forward Secrecy) to prevent the connection encryption from being broken.
Storage duration or criteria for determining the duration
Your data will only be processed/stored as long as required to fulfil the purposes mentioned above. If you withdraw your consent or leave the network or if it is determined that emails are permanently no longer deliverable, your data will be deleted within one month.
Recipients or Categories of Recipients
- Internal recipients are the employees/members of the university who need to process the data to fulfil their official duties. External recipients:
- External members of the QUAREP-LiMi network
- Visitors to the homepage worldwide
- Other recipients only are considered if we are legally obliged to transmit data.
Your rights as a data subject
- You have the right to obtain information from us about any data we process concerning your person and / or to obtain the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning you.
- You also have the right to erasure or restriction of processing and data portability.
- If you have given us your consent, you also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, whereby the legality of the processing carried out on the basis of the consent up to the time of withdrawal is not affected. You can also withdraw your consent for the processing of individual data.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority if you are of the opinion that the processing of your personal data violates legal provisions. Such a supervisory authority is, for example, the State Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information Baden-Württemberg, Lautenschlagerstraße 20, 70173 Stuttgart, email: email@example.com (https://www.baden-wuerttemberg.datenschutz.de/).
- If you would like to assert the rights of data subjects against the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information about objection according to Art. 21 Para. 1 GDPR
You have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to the processing of your personal data which is based on Art. 6 Para. 1 Subpara. 1 lit. e and f GDPR.
Please note the general data protection information on our website at https://quarep.org/about/privacy-policy/.