Quality Assessment and Reproducibility
for Instruments & Images in Light Microscopy
The QUAREP-LiMi is a group of enthusiastic light microscopists from Academia and Industry all interested in improving quality assessment (QA) and quality control (QC) in light microscopy. We came together in a first on-line Webmeeting on 28th of April, 2020 with about 50 attendees. By now (12th of January 2022) the group has grown to 370 people from 30 countries all over the world. We have members from national microscopy communities, companies involved in the microscopy business, organizations or institutions related to standardization on a national or international level, and scientific publishers and observers from funding agencies (see the graph below and on the member page for an overview).
In the 2nd General Webmeeting on 9th of July 2020, ten working groups were established to bring our common aims quickly forward. These webpages give a short overview about QUAREP-LiMi. In the 3rd General Meeting the working group 11 “Microscopy Publication Standards” was established.
QUAREP-LiMi runs a cloud server with more information and as a common repository and exchange point for our work.
QUAREP-LiMi is absolutely open for new members and we are looking forward to hear from you. If you want to join the initiative, fill out the contact form found here. For changing your working group (WG) or joining a new WG use the memberlist on the cloud server or sent an E-Mail to: email@example.com.
Today, December 3, 2021, a special edition of Nature Methods was published containing an amazing selection of publications aimed at improving the quality of research results based on light microscopic techniques. The edition contains proposals, requests and demands from researchers for the development and establishment of new quality standards, software tools and techniques for recording, documenting and storing microscope images.
The whole Nature Methods issue about
Reporting and reproducibility in microscopy
can be found here
Nine publications all involving many members of QUAREP-LiMi as authors can be found within the December Nature Methods issue:
- QUAREP-LiMi: a community endeavor to advance quality assessment and reproducibility in light microscopy
- Towards community-driven metadata standards for light microscopy: tiered specifications extending the OME model
- Micro-Meta App: an interactive tool for the collection of microscopy metadata based on community-driven specifications
- MethodsJ2: a software tool to capture metadata and generate comprehensive microscopy methods text
- MDEmic: a metadata annotation tool to facilitate management of FAIR image data in the bioimaging community
- REMBI: Recommended Metadata for Biological Images—enabling reuse of microscopy data in biology
- Best practices and tools for reporting reproducible fluorescence microscopy methods
- OME-NGFF: scalable format strategies for interoperable bioimaging data
- A global view of standards for open image data formats and repositories
Detailed QUAREP-LiMi white paper online in Journal of Microscopy:
QUAREP-LiMi: A community-driven initiative to establish guidelines for quality assessment and reproducibility for instruments and images in light microscopy
Download the Open Access PDF here.